Welcome to Wooler United Church
The purpose of todays congregation meeting is to change Wooler United Church’s governance system from Stewards and Session to the Streamlined Board Model. The Streamlined Board Model proposed for use at Wooler United Church is outlined below. The congregational is being asked to vote in the use of this governance system and the people shown in the section under Structure. At the Annual meeting in the new year the Governance model will be addressed to determine any changes.
The streamlined board is smaller than that of the Unified Board or Church Council found at many larger churches. The Board's structure and its missions are shown below. The structure also has a variety of Teams or Groups who gather to work on specific mission activities, affinities, interests, and passions. Those who serve on the board do not have to serve on a particular group or team, and those who serve with a group or team do not have to attend Board meetings.
The Governance Board
- Ministry Personnel: Minister or in our case Pastoral Charge Supervisor - Rev Bruce Fraser
- Regional Council - Wooler Church Representative: Linda Walt
- Chairperson: Dave Dorland
- Secretary: Patti Knight
- Treasurer: Donal Gray
- Discerns Mission
- Forms Policy
- Develops Strategies
- Deploys Leaders to create or run groups or teams.
- Monitors Progress of the Teams, Groups and Committees
- Responsibilities of the Governing Body as defined in the bylaws stated in B.7.4.1 UCC Manual 2022.
The Board members have freedom and authority to act, guided by the congregation’s purpose and core values, and the parameters of each leader’s role.
Teams and Committees
All Committees are run under the UCC agenda and are the same no matter what governance system a church may elect to use:
- Ministry and Personnel Committee
- Board of Trustees
- Minister Search committee
- Spirituality: Provide LLWL Coverage, church service preparation / scripture readings, Mission & Service and Special Services.
- Property: Regular maintenance (grass, snow), custodial functions and maintenance repairs by vendor or church members.
- Financial: Oversight of bank accounts, payments, and income from all teams with their own treasurers and bank accounts. Back up and oversight of Church Treasurer.
- Fund Raising: The planning and running of church fund raising events
- Pastoral Care: Visiting of members by team members with experience and/or education is meeting with people who have medical or family issues.
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.